Employment at Nevis Range
Nevis Range is a very practical, hands-on company with a lively outdoor atmosphere. Staff are recruited largely on their foreseeable potential and adaptability. Working conditions and level of business are governed almost entirely by the weather and the seasons, demanding an unusual level of flexibility of all Nevis Range staff.
The number of employees varies from a core staff of 50 who work all year round to 100 at the height of a busy winter season. The key qualities that we look for in our staff are adaptability, resilience to harsh weather, passion for the outdoors, team spirit, good customer care skills and a sense of humour!! Seasonal employees include ski lift operators, groomer drivers, ski & board instructors, ski hire technicians and catering staff.
Scroll down for our current vacancies.
Other Useful Information
Nevis Range Development Company does not offer staff accommodation however most seasonal staff find accommodation quite easily in Fort William or the surrounding areas. If you do experience difficulties we can recommend certain local establishments who offer short-term accommodation until you can find something more permanent.
All staff are provided with a uniform that is appropriate for the requirements of their particular job.
If you are successful in your application you will be given an induction on arrival and specific training that is appropriate to your position within the company. Nevis Range has been accredited with the Investors in People Standard since the inception of the scheme.
All full-time staff receive a season pass, which allows access to the uplift facilities at Nevis Range and the other four ski areas in Scotland. Part-time staff receive a discounted price ticket, which offers the same benefits. Some local outdoor retail establishments offer discounts for full and part time staff.
Gaelic Language Plan
Nevis Range is presently in the process of implementing a Gaelic Language Plan in partnership with Bord na Gaidhlig.
Please note before applying
- You must be legally entitled to work in the UK
- You must be able to travel, at your own expense, to Nevis Range, Fort William for the interview process
- PLEASE adhere to the specific instructions for the particular job that you are applying for ie Nevis Range employment application form (which must be completed in full) - or current CV - and covering letter. Download the Nevis Range employment application form in word or as a pdf
- If you have any employment related questions please contact 01397 705825 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Closing dates are final and we strongly recommend that you apply for a position as soon as you see it to avoid missing out on the opportunity.
Chef - Part Time Permanent
Closing Date: 23rd April 2017
Pay: From £7.31 per hour
We're looking for a chef to join our team. You will be working in the Catering Department at Nevis Range, assisting with preparation and service in both of our busy kitchens. Straight shifts, normally 8am – 4.30pm or 10am – 6.30pm. Occasional evening shifts for events/functions. This role is part time however, more hours will be available during peak times for the right candidate.
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Work in both Snowgoose Restaurant & Bar and Pinemarten Café Bar
- Provide natural, friendly and efficient service
- Maintain high standards of service and cleanliness throughout the department
- Communicating with head chef and kitchen team regarding menus and stock levels
- Ensuring high quality of food produced
- Store goods correctly and use stock on a rotational basis
- Ensuring food wastage is kept to a minimum
- Adhering to company’s HACCP system and completion of any relevant records
- Multi-tasking, using initiative and prioritizing work
- Working front of house when required
- Working shifts at any catering events and functions
Knowledge and Skills required
- Minimum Basic Food Hygiene Certificate
- Able to work under minimum supervision and under pressure
- Experience in a similar role
- Flexibility & reliability
Benefits – Transport provided. Free or discounted access to snowsports and biking facilities. Discounted food and drink. Staff discount scheme.
Contact: Sarah Shepherd
Assistant Catering Manager
Closing Date: Friday 5 May 2017
Pay: From £17,000 per annum. Negotiable depending on experience
We are looking for a highly motivated, hands on and enthusiastic Assistant Catering Manager to join the current management team. A fantastic opportunity for someone looking to take steps forward in their career in the hospitality industry, who enjoys working in an ever changing environment and taking on a challenge
• To support the Catering Manager in the day to day running of the Catering Department.
• Coach and mentor the team using effective communication and role modelling.
• Promote initiative, best practice and communicate with colleagues to improve performance and help others at department and company level.
• Help manage department budgets and manage expenses in a manner that is appropriate for the needs of the business
• Responsible for managing cash and other daily administrative tasks
Knowledge and Skills required:
• Basic Food Hygiene Certificate
• Able to work under minimum supervision and under pressure
• Excellent people skills
• Experience in supervisory/management roles
• Ability to promote company on a face to face basis
• Flexibility & reliability
• Full UK driving license
Closing Date: Friday 5th May
Benefits: Access to skiing/boarding and biking facilities. Free and discounted food and drink. Staff discount scheme. Uniform provided.
Term: Full Time Permanent
Pay: from £17000 per annum. Negotiable dependant on experience.
Hours: 40 Hours per week, straight shifts, 5 out of 7 days with extra hours required at certain times of year and as business needs dictate. Must be able to work weekends and holiday periods
Contact: Sarah Shepherd