How Green are We?
Being green is so important to us here at Nevis Range that sometimes we forget we're doing it! Here's just some of what we do ...
- Replaced our electric heating with a woodchip boiler saving around 28 tonnes of CO2 per year
- Installed a dishwasher with heat recovery system - saving 5 tonnes of C02 per year
- Introduced foodwaste composting - saving around 1.5 tonnes CO2 per year - this project is a pilot scheme for the Lochaber Environmental Group and they use it to demonstration to other businesses
- Our 'recycling on the go' project supported by Zero Waste Scotland encourages more of our visitors to separate their waste
- Improved recycling at events, reducing waste in skips by about 25%
- Our staff use thermal mugs rather than disposable cups, they share a sfaff minibus, lots of them cycle to work, we provide bike storage.
- Use local suppliers of food wherever we can
- Maintain footpaths to reduce erosion
- Where we can we use green cleaning products, recycled office paper, sustainable paper for leaflets and recycled toilet and blue roll
We also encourage our customers to be green, in particular
- Recycle their rubbish in the bins we provide
- Stay on the marked trails
- Don't build stone cairns – the collection of stones for these is damaging the ground and reducing areas of shelter for invertebrates
- Don't pick wild flowers from the mountain – some are very rare – take a picture instead
- Keeping your dog on a lead - so as not to scare wildlife
- Arrive by bike - use the off road cycle track
- Arrive by bus - there's a bus to Nevis Range from Fort William and Spean Bridge, as well as the open top bus during the summer
- Use our ‘Nae butts’ portable ashtrays
- Use our dog poo bags
- Reduce your carbon footprint to save our winter! - walk and cycle where possible and be active in saving electricity and fuel – it’ll save you money as well.
Some links to our partners
We've also got an Environmental Policy